5- Day- Recovery Coach Academy Training
SEARCH Trainings and Events
The Recovery Coach Academy (RCA) is a 5-day training designed for those interested in becoming Recovery Coaches and/or for learning the principles and philosophies of Recovery Coaching. The training will provide a comprehensive overview of the purpose, tasks, and roles of Recovery Coaches.
A Recovery Coach’s goal is to serve as a personal guide and mentor for people seeking recovery from addictions and help to remove obstacles and barriers to recovery. Recovery Coaching is not a clinical service. Rather, it is a new and exciting role in the field of substance use disorders. Recovery Coaches:
- Are trained to use their lived experience in support of another’s journey in recovery. Therefore, personal disclosure may be a part of the coaching relationship.
- Are often expected to assist the people they are coaching, called “recoverees,” as they navigate systems, attend events, or explore the recovery community.
- Must be flexible with their hours and meet with their recoverees when and where they are needed.
- Should not follow one specific theoretical framework or one specific ideology of recovery. There are multiple paths to recovery and the coach must help the recoveree remove barriers, in whatever ways make the most sense to the recoveree.
- All Recovery Coaches must be supervised by someone who has been trained as either a Peer Specialist and/or Recovery Coach and a clear understanding of the Recovery Coach Philosophy.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the roles and function of a recovery coach.
- List the core values, guiding principles, and core components of recovery.
- Describe co-occurring disorders and medication assisted treatment.
- Explain the Stages of Change and their applications.
- Address some of the ethical issues that could arise with Recovery Coaching.
- Develop wellness plans.
- Practice newly acquired skills.
NOTE: PRIORITY WILL BE GIVEN TO THOSE THAT ARE CURRENTLY WORKING FOR, OR ARE IN THE PROCESS OF, BEING HIRED BY ORGANIZATIONS THAT EMPLOY RECOVERY COACHES. IN ADDITION, PEOPLE WHO ARE CONSIDERING VOLUNTEERING AS RECOVERY COACHES (FOR EXAMPLE, IN A RECOVERY SUPPORT CENTER), AND/OR SUPERVISING RECOVERY COACHES WILL ALSO BE WELCOME.
Register by October 12, 2015
Other Training and Event Calendars
See the Training Resources section for even more training opportunities.