VIRTUAL- Youth Substance Use 101
SEARCH Trainings and Events
The Institute for Health and Recovery (IHR) will be leading a series of regional trainings. These trainings are open to DPH, Bureau of Substance Addiction providers as well as other youth serving agencies and departments.
PLEASE REGISTER TO RECEIVE THE ZOOM LOGIN CREDENTIALS.
This training provides an overview of the disease of addiction, key issues to be aware of when working with youth struggling with substance use, and how best to support youth in recovery and their families. We will review key risk factors for the development of youth substance use disorders, including early onset, trauma, co-occurring mental health issues, genetics, and environmental factors. We will look at trends of use and how best to intervene through screening, assessment, and referral to treatment. Best practices for engaging youth in treatment will be emphasized. This training will also review the different levels of care currently available in Massachusetts, licensed by the Bureau of Substance Addiction Services (BSAS)/Office of Youth and Young Adult Services, including detox/stabilization, residential treatment, recovery high schools, and outpatient services. Family recovery supports will also be identified.
This training is aimed towards anyone working with youth and young adults; prior knowledge is not required.
By the end of the training, participants will be able:
- To understand the key risk factors for addiction, including early onset of use, trauma, and mental health issues.
- To learn about the key neurological processes during adolescence and how substances can change neural pathways and lead to addiction.
- To identify evidence-based tools to assess youth substance use (e.g. CRAFFT).
- To identify evidence-based practices to engage youth and young adults in substance use treatment (e.g. Motivational Interviewing).
- To learn about the BSAS continuum of care (licensed treatment) for youth and young adults in Massachusetts, and key family recovery resources.
Other Training and Event Calendars
See the Training Resources section for even more training opportunities.