VIRTUAL- Creating LGBTQ and Gender Inclusive Secondary Schools
SEARCH Trainings and Events
Welcoming Schools is the nation’s leading professional development program in the United States providing research based training, strategies, and resources to equip elementary school educators to successfully create LGBTQ-inclusive and affirming spaces for students, staff, and families.
This training will provide participants with strategies, tools and the confidence to take the important steps to create an LGBTQ inclusive school environment. Participants will leave with concrete strategies to help foster a more inclusive school. This specialization at the secondary level is critical to providing educators with the tools and strategies they need for emotional, social and academic success of the students they serve.
Data from the Center for Disease Control Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance highlights:
There is a substantial increase in substance abuse in high school particularly with LGBTQ youth.
LGBTQ youth experience bullying that is more than double that of their non-LGBTQ peers.
LGBTQ students attempt suicide at a rate more than 4 times that of non-LGBTQ students.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to
- Develop an understanding of data and statistics showing the critical need to support LGBTQ youth in schools
- Identify key statistics about substance abuse among LGBTQ youth and support strategies
- Practice teachable moments and responding to questions about LGBTQ+ topics
- Identify implementation strategies for school staff to create a Welcoming School Environment
- Learn about resources that Welcoming Schools provides to create LGBTQ inclusive schools
Other Training and Event Calendars
See the Training Resources section for even more training opportunities.