Providing LGBTQ-Affirming Services
Through this training, participants will gain a deeper understanding of LGBTQ+ communities and experiences, information about social inequities impacting these communities, and best practices to create more inclusive and affirming spaces and services. Part one will be an introduction to LGBTQ+ communities and will help participants to distinguish between the concepts of assigned sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, and gender expression. Part two will go into more depth about the unique experiences of transgender, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people, and discuss strategies and concrete actions participants can take to create social change.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to
- Participants will able to distinguish between the concepts of assigned sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, and gender expression and understand how to apply identity terms appropriately
- Participants will be able to describe the harmful effects of microaggressions and social disparities against LGBTQ people using an intersectional lens
- Participants will be able to describe strategies for supporting the diverse gender identities and sexual orientations of clients
- Participants will identify concrete actions they can take to create cultural change
- Participants will be able to explain why and how LGBTQ affirming services are necessary in order to get buy-in from other staff and clients
Other Training and Event Calendars
See the Training Resources section for even more training opportunities.