Culturally Responsive Assessment Practices for Latinx: Meeting the Needs of a Growing and Diverse Population
The need for culturally responsive mental health services for Latinx in the United States has never been greater. Developing culturally relevant mental health services, including diagnostic and assessment procedures, for this population is essential. Furthermore, there is a growing need for specialized assessments of refugees and asylum seekers. Yet, there are limitations with regard to the availability of instruments and procedures than can be used validly and reliably with this diverse population in the U.S. The presentation will discuss available procedures and instruments that have been researched with Latinx. We will discuss unique considerations in both general assessments as well as trauma specific for refugees and asylum seekers.
Specific learning objectives:
1. List at least two areas in psychological assessment in which Latinx are at a disadvantage compared to individuals from the majority culture in the US.
2. Identify the ethical and social justice implications of inappropriate assessment or lack of assessment services to this population.
3. Describe the procedures that are indicated to ensure that Latinx receive appropriate assessment services.
4. Identify practical steps to take when their individual practice or agency does not have the resources to adequately assess the individual.
5. Identify the elements of an evaluation of asylum seekers, including ethical issues, use of interpreters, and interviewing considerations that are specific to the Latinx population
6. Identify unique characteristics in assessing Latinx school age children
7. List at least two areas of advocacy that could help close the gap in assessment disparities for Latinx.
8. Discuss how an English speaking expert can collaborate with a Spanish speaking translator to conduct appropriate forensic interviewing.
9. Examine how videotape recording of eye witness/victim of psychological trauma can be useful In the justice system.
Program Code: LMH19
Lunch will be included.
See the Training Resources section for even more training opportunities.