Community Reinforcement and Family Training (CRAFT)
CRAFT (Community Reinforcement and Family Training) helps families identify practical and highly-effective ways to move their child toward treatment, while simultaneously improving their own lives.
Goals of CRAFT
- improve the lives of family members
- reduce the problematic addictive behavior of the youth
- increase the youth’s motivation to enter treatment
Who can be a CRAFT interventionist?
Expertise in substance use is not required. Psychologists, mental health professionals, social workers, drug and alcohol counselors, primary health care workers, and other professionals working with families.
Become a CRAFT Interventionist and learn to teach families the following CRAFT skills:
- Employ effective positive communication
- Identify and use positive rewards
- Develop a roadmap for understanding their loved one’s substance use and pattern
- Recognize substance use
- Take domestic violence precautions
- Allow for the “natural consequences” of use
- Practice self-care without detachment
- Get a child into treatment
See the Training Resources section for even more training opportunities.
American Society of Addiction Medicine CME calendar