Peer Volunteer Specialist - Peer Recovery Support Ctr
Victory Programs, Inc.
Boston, MA 02130
The Peer Volunteer Specialist is responsible for building and maintaining a volunteer base, and ensuring on-going peer leadership opportunities and development. Victory Program’s Peer Recovery Support Center is a ‘recovery-oriented sanctuary anchored in the heart of the community,’ delivering peer-to-peer recovery support services, and providing a safe, supportive, healing space for individuals in recovery using a volunteer/member base, guided by peer staff, to deliver services and provide multiple pathways to recovery. The Peer Volunteer Specialist reports to the Program Director for support and supervision.
- Use their expertise and experience to assist with outreach and member and volunteer recruitment.
- Provide outreach, screening selection, support, and training for the center’s volunteers.
- Create written descriptions of volunteer opportunities and manage pathways for members to engage in volunteer opportunities in the community.
- Manage volunteer schedules in the center.
- Collaborate and partner with community organizations, leaders and local treatment and recovery support service providers, coalitions and task forces, career centers and/or employment/housing organizations and criminal justice departments to promote the availability of the center, represent the recovery community, advocate for recovery, and ensure linkages to resources, supports, programs and services that benefit and address life needs of the membership.
- Run groups and activities for members, and assist in the ongoing development of programming and services.
- Provide appropriate referrals to care, connection and other services that members may be interested in.
- Work in collaboration with staff to implement person-centered, recovery-oriented, and trauma-informed care.
- Provide milieu coverage.
- Enforce all policies and procedures of Victory Programs, Inc.
- Work collaboratively with all staff to provide individualized services to all clients.
- Attend supervision with the Program Director.
- Act in accordance with Victory Programs Standards of Excellence & Philosophy Care, including maintaining professional ethics, boundaries, and client confidentiality, and working from a strength-based perspective.
- Represent the program(s) in the community and to designated funders, as requested by supervisor.
- Participate and support the agency in program holiday events, State House rallies, fundraising and advocacy events, HIV/AIDS rally and walk, and any additional functions.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, trainings, seminars, workshops and rallies as requested by supervisor.
- Perform other duties or tasks that may be requested by a Supervisor or other designated personnel
The successful candidate is someone who has accepted their substance use history, has learned to live with and manage the daily challenges of recovery, and has attained a level of personal growth and healing that gives them the understanding, insight and motivation to help others.
- High school or equivalent
- Must demonstrate an understanding and belief in the recovery process and Recovery Oriented Systems of Care model
- Completion of Recovery Coach Academy and Ethical Considerations for Recovery Coaching trainings required (May be completed within 6 months of hire)
- Three strong work related references; 2 from a supervisor or manager.
- Must have knowledge of multiple pathways to recovery support systems, including but not limited to 12-step support groups, faith-based groups, harm reduction services, SMART Recovery, Life Ring; and providing direct service.
- Certified Addiction Recovery Coach (CARC) certification
- Ability to act with integrity and compassion and foster a culture of mission, trust, respect and accountability for outcomes
- Ability to demonstrate cultural awareness and competency, including the ability to understand, respond and work effectively and with sensitivity with staff and members from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Current TB assessment (may be obtained upon hire)
- CPR certification (may be obtained upon hire)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
Position Type: Full Time Non-Exempt hours vary
Rate: $25.00 hourly
Victory Programs values a diverse workforce, as we collectively seek to create welcoming, inclusive and accessible environments for our employees and the people we serve. We strive to sustain healthy, functioning communities that respect and celebrate different experiences, identities, cultures and ideas
Victory Programs has helped individuals and families in crisis for 45 years. Thousands turn to us yearly for shelter, sustenance, recovery, care, and professional, compassionate support. Most struggle with homelessness, substance use and mental health, and many live with HIV/AIDS. Our team of more than 250 staff across 21 programs works with people to develop and execute creative, safe solutions to the very real challenges our clients face.
Our benefit program includes a 75% health and 25% dental employer premium contribution, 100% employer paid disability and life insurances, 19 days of earned time in your first year, sick time, personal days, tuition remission, and a retirement savings opportunity.