This workshop covers an update in vocabulary and also covers concepts of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, development of transgender/genderqueer/non-binary identities, transgender clients’ bio-psyhco-social needs, the range of social and medical options, and best practices. We create a non-judgmental learning environment where participants can ask questions and get answers. We will also discuss the ways in which the trauma of living in an anti-LGBTQ+ society can influence substance misuse.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to
- As a result of this training, participants will be able to understand the concepts of biological sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, and gender expression.
- As a result of this training, participants will be able to describe the harmful effects of microaggressions and social disparities against LGBTQ+ people.
- As a result of this training, participants will be able to describe strategies for supporting the diverse gender identities and sexual orientations of clients.
- After this training, substance misuse professionals will better understand the connection between trauma, oppression, and substance mis-use.
- Substance misuse professionals will also be able to identify some of the theories about why substance misuse occur at higher rates in the LGBTQ+ community.